The transit decisions we make in the next 10 years will define the way our city will grow for decades to come. The way we get around town directly impacts our wallets and quality of life, and for that reason, there may not be a more important public policy area.
X-ing Columbus is a citizen-based blog whose mission is to facilitate conversation and spread information about local, state, and national transportation policy and options. Our hope is that by opening up a dialog, sharing knowledge, and getting up from behind our keyboards to action will set Columbus on the right path as it grows.
A couple of terms to put out in the open…
- Opinions in posts and comments are those of the individual authors, not necessarily those of all authors. Responsibility for those opinions rests with the authors. We’ve all got opinions that are rooted in trying to improve Columbus, sometimes we’ll disagree on how to get there.
- Although it isn’t the intention, this site will likely HAVE a point of view, generally supportive of transit and smart development, and efforts to reduce VMT (vehicles miles traveled) per capita. This shouldn’t be read as being completely “anti-auto”, but the pot of transit dollars is only so big, and the vast majority of the pot currently goes towards subsidizing that one form of transit. It’s only natural that those who support the myriad of other transit options get passionate about a more equitable distribution of funding. While all views are welcome, participation that is of a quality or quantity that combines to undermine the purpose of the site may be restricted or refused.
Rules of Civil Conversation
- Constructive disagreement is welcome, but simply repeating your disagreement is not. If your disagreement is simply to protest an authors point of view, you should find another outlet for your views.
- Passion and robust debate about ideas are what X-ing Columbus is about. Passion directed at individuals is not, and will be deleted promptly. Please confine your remarks to policy, opinion and data.
- Transparency is appreciated, but respecting privacy is required. Posting under a real name is preferred. If you prefer to use a pseudonym, please use the same one consistently. If you have an affiliation or other factors that readers might reasonably use to assess your comments, we request that you disclose them, but that’s your choice. However, questioning the motivations or sincerity of participants is prohibited.
- While you are welcome to disagree, you are not welcome to be disagreeable. Please treat fellow participants with the respect you would give a guest in your home.
- Please stay on topic.
Comments which are in violation of the terms or rules of conversation may be removed in part or in full. Repeated violators may have their ability to comment blocked temporarily or permanently.
Sorry…had to put that all out there!